What Kind Of Auto Insurance Do I Need In Dartmouth?
If you or your family lives and drives in Dartmouth, NS, you must carry liability Auto Insurance. It is the law. However, there are many other types of insurance for your car that you may need to consider, and making the right choices can help you avoid a lot of serious problems down the road. Here is an example.
Liz and Tim saved for years and were finally able to buy the new car they always wanted. One warm spring Sunday afternoon they decided to take a long drive just to enjoy the weather and scenery. Liz packed a lunch and the couple stopped and enjoyed a picnic lunch at a local park. Next, they went down the highway with no special destination in mind. However, an hour into the trip, disaster struck. While the couple was talking, Tim did not see a large rock in the road until it was too late. This threw the car out of control and it struck several other vehicles causing a terrible accident, resulting in multiple injuries and some were quite serious.
Tim and Liz were not injured severely but three occupants from the other vehicles sustained major injuries that required extensive hospitalization and therapy. In fact, the total claims came to $685,000, and it was a good thing that Tim listened to his insurance person. He took out a million dollars in liability coverage when they bought their new car. If not, the couple would have faced financial disaster.
Why Do I Need Car Insurance?
You will need to take out an insurance policy for several reasons:
- Nova Scotia law mandates that you carry certain types of insurance. This is not optional.
- Your insurance will pay for repairs to your car.
- You will have protection against lawsuits.
- It covers payment to those in other vehicles (involved in accidents).
- Insurance provides important peace of mind.
Who Needs Automobile Insurance In Nova Scotia?
Do you drive a car, truck, SUV, van, or other type of passenger vehicle? Maybe you own a car but it is rarely driven. You might be leasing a new car to save money. No matter what, Auto Insurance is required. It doesn’t matter if you drive one day a week or put thousands of kilometers on your car each month, you must have insurance. This includes the following vehicles:
- Antique or classic autos
- Motor homes
- Any type of passenger vehicle
Which Car Insurance Options Are Mandatory In Nova Scotia?
- 3rd party liability insurance – if you are the “at fault” driver, this covers damage to property, and pays for medical expenses if other people are injured in an auto accident. This is not designed to cover you, just 3rd parties. The minimum amount of coverage is $500,000.
- Accident benefits – pays for physical therapy, caregiver service, income replacement, and it doesn’t matter which driver is at fault.
- Unidentified or uninsured drivers – pays for hit and run accidents and when the other driver does not have enough insurance to cover your claims.
- DCPD – direct compensation property damage is relatively new in Nova Scotia. Basically, your insurance pays for damages to your car whether you are at fault or not. This is different from the past when the other driver’s insurance would pay if you were not at fault. However, it only covers accidents in areas where DCPD is mandatory.
Automobile Insurance Options
You should talk to your insurance person about these things:
- Raising liability insurance limits – one half million may not be enough to cover damages as was demonstrated in the example story. Most Nova Scotia drivers choose to carry one million dollars in protection to be safe.
- Collision coverage – this pays for your car if you are at fault. If you have a car loan you will need this option.
- Comprehensive – covers issues like theft, fire, glass breakage, and vandalism. Also covers objects hitting your car like hail and tree limbs.
- Rental car reimbursement – will pay for a rental car while yours is in the shop.
- Roadside assistance – covers towing and simple repairs needed to keep you on the road.
How To Get The Best Auto Insurance Coverage In Dartmouth
If you want maximum coverage at affordable rates select an insurance professional that has your best interests at heart. That is why so many Nova Scotia drivers turn to insurance brokers when they buy Car Insurance.
When you choose an insurance service like Founders Insurance Group, you will receive these benefits:
- 30 years of insurance experience
- Nine insurance markets to serve you
- We have four sources to provide insurance for high risk drivers
- Two major insurance markets to take care of inexperienced drivers
- Same day policy services in most cases
- Insurance premium financing
- Several payment methods
Founders Insurance Group has an office in Burnside, and we serve clients all throughout Nova Scotia. We do not work for one large insurance company. Our people have access to a wide range of services and can give you a custom Automobile Insurance policy that fits your driving needs. To see what we can do for you and your family, call our main office at 902-468-3529. You may also call us toll free at 1-877-798-5981.
Free Insurance Quote
Very Pleased Janice Pottie was extremely helpful in finding a better rate for both our home and boat insurance, and I am very pleased with how quickly she was able to obtain the quotes and make the arrangements with the new insurance companies.
Very Friendly We are very happy with Founders Insurance Group. The local staff is very friendly and they all treated us with respect as they worked toward making sure that we received all the discounts we were eligible for. We recommend Founders Insurance Group to all of our friends.
WRASCIALLY WABBIT?!? We have been with founders for 17years! Recently we were driving on the Highway when a Rabbit yes a Rabbit literally jumped out in front of our Newer Sante Fe and jumped right at our Vehicle!!! We thought wow bet that will leave a mark. When we got to our destination you can imagine our shock when part of the rabbit was still in our bumper!! I called Janice Pottie whom I have dealt with for years and she advised us quickly on what to do and we called the 1800 number to report it. Janice has always been so great with us, its like I have known her for years and have never met her in person. Liam was great to deal with and followed up to make sure we were happy with the work done, the rental etc. Who would have known a "WRASCIALLY WABBIT" could cause so much damage!!! Thanks again.
Beyond the Call of Duty My daughter and I were in a car accident on December 11th. I was told on December 22nd that my car was a total loss. I was called by Janice Pottie on December 23rd to let me know that the cheque had arrived. I was very thankful for her call and email. She had told me which documents I needed to pick up the cheque. I arrived after the office was closed, however Steven Taylor stayed late until I arrived. I arrived with the wrong paperwork. I then asked Stephen if he could meet me in the office once I found my paperwork, which we thought would be between Christmas and New Year. However, I had gotten home and found the paperwork that Aviva required. I called Stephen and he came back to the office to meet me! In my opinion, that is way above the call of duty! I have so much respect for him and I want to let you know that he deserves to be thanked. Again, hats off to your company and the fabulous staff you have working there! Again, from the bottom of my heart: Stephen, thank you so much! All the best in the new year!
I wanted to put in a good word for Janice who has been absolutely excellent to work with. I had been with another company for many years and was just introduced to Janice via my boyfriend this year. She has been very efficient and knowledgeable! A real pleasure to work with.
DON’T WAIT. Get a quote today!
CALL Us at 902-468-3529