Getting the Best Home Insurance in Dartmouth
Are you shopping for homes in Dartmouth? Maybe you already have a home and you would like to get a better deal on Home Insurance. A home is your biggest investment and it should be protected from all kinds of hazards that can occur. In fact, having the right kind of insurance can get you through some of life’s most difficult times. Let’s look at the example of George and Vilma R.
Vilma and George lived in an apartment for several years while they saved enough money for a down payment on a house. The home they bought was not in perfect condition, but the couple worked hard to get everything in shape. They spent many hours in the evenings and weekends on several remodeling projects and after a few years, they had things just the way they wanted. However, they did not realize that everything can be taken from you in an instant.
One warm summer afternoon, the couple went to George’s parent’s house to spend a few hours visiting and while they were gone, the weather turned bad. In fact, a large line of severe thunderstorms swept through Nova Scotia that day with hail, wind, rain, and intense lightning. During the storm, lighting struck near George and Vilma’s house causing an intense power surge. This created a fire inside which quickly engulfed their beautiful home in flames. It did not take long to destroy everything of value.
The following morning, the couple walked in the rubble to see if they could salvage any remnants of their memories and as Vilma cried, George reminded her that they would rebuild their home and their lives. When they bought their house, George talked to his Homeowners Insurance professional and had taken his advice on complete replacement coverage, and it paid to rebuild their house. Today, their home is one of the most impressive houses on the block.
What Does Home Owners Insurance Do for You?
Insuring your property with a comprehensive form is essential as it will take care of hazards like these:
- Storms and other acts of nature
- Theft and burglary losses
- Smoke and damage from fire
- Falling objects
- Glass breakage
- Vehicle impacts
Who Needs Home Insurance?
Do you own the house that you live in? It needs protections and so do these types of residences:
- Town houses
- Vacation homes – includes cottages and log cabins
- High value homes – you need to consider a special policy that will pay for possessions of great value like antiques, collectables, and jewellery.
- Rental Property – if you rent a place, the landlord’s insurance will not cover your possessions; you will need Tenant Insurance for this protection. You may have liability issues to consider, as well.
- Rented Dwelling – if you rent out your residence to others, this is not covered under your home insurance policy – call us today to arrange appropriate Rented Dwelling insurance.
What Should a Standard Homeowners Insurance Policy Have?
Standard Home Owners Insurance policies really do not exist because everyone’s living situation is unique. For example, you could have a home that is similar to a neighbor but the contents and landscape may be completely different. Most policies should include protection from interior and exterior damages and also legal liability insurance. This is very important because someone could sue you for damages if they were injured on your property. Your insurance professional will show you what coverage items you should consider.
Most homeowners have several options to think about. For example, George and Vilma chose replacement cost coverage instead of fair market value. Had they taken the cheaper option of market value, they would have received thousands of dollars less, and been unable to rebuild. Many couples fail to realize just how expensive it is nowadays to replace a home with rising construction costs and inflation.
When you consider insurance options make sure that all possible perils are covered. Here are ones that you might want to include in your policy:
- ByLaws Coverage – even with Guaranteed Replacement Cost coverage, your policy might not cover any Increased Costs of Construction or other ByLaw imposed expenses. Discuss with a Broker how you can protect yourself against potential out-of-pocket expenses.
- Overland Water – almost all Insurers are now offering enhanced water protections, but you have to pay attention to what you are buying. Your insurance broker can help you navigate the coverage to ensure you have adequate coverage and limits with an affordable deductible.
- Earthquakes – yes, it can and does happen in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.
- Septic and sewer backups – this is an often overlooked coverage. Even if you are on municipal water, you still need Sewer Backup protection. Ask your broker for advice so you can decide how much you need.
The best time to think about peril coverage is today. If you wait on this decision, it could be too late, as disasters occur when you least expect them.
Multiple policy discounts are also available. Consider combining your home insurance and car insurance (and sometimes even commercial insurance) with them. The savings can sometimes be substantial.
When you shop for Homeowners Insurance, ask about deductible amounts. Your rates may be much lower if you raise the amount you are willing to pay out of pocket (deductible).
Maybe you have a finished basement or attic that you would like to rent out to help make the house payment. Talk to your insurance professional first, as you may need extra coverage. This includes short-term rentals such as AirBnB as well as long-term rentals. Contact us today!
Who Can I See About Home Owners Insurance?
If you are looking for property insurance in Dartmouth, come to experienced professionals like the people you will find at Founders Insurance Group. We have been helping people for over 30 years and we are an independent agency. We can get you some of the best deals on insurance in Nova Scotia. Here are some ways we can help:
- 7 main markets for Homeowners’ policies.
- Monthly billing plans available
- Specialty insurance markets for hard to insure properties
- Policies for luxury and high value homes
- Multiple payment methods
- Same day policies (in many cases)
Founders Insurance Group is here to serve your insurance needs at our branch in Burnside in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Contact us today about all of your insurance needs by calling 902-468-3529 or toll free 1-877-798-5981.
Free Insurance Quote
I wanted to put in a good word for Janice who has been absolutely excellent to work with. I had been with another company for many years and was just introduced to Janice via my boyfriend this year. She has been very efficient and knowledgeable! A real pleasure to work with.
I have been a client of Janice Pottie for about 9 years for both my house and auto insurance. I just wanted to let you know that Janice has always provided top notch customer service and has always provided me with efficient, reliable information. Sometimes brokers (insurance companies) get a bad rap with respect to quality customer service. This has never been the case with Janice and I felt it was important to give credit to someone where credit is due. You’ve got a great employee!!
We Saved a Lot of Money I was very satisfied with the professional and friendly service I received when I came into Founders Insurance Group in Wolfville. We saved a lot of money on our home and auto insurance!
Ready To Assist Staff there are always ready to assist me in a most excellent and courteous manner!! I have been doing business with Founders for a long time and see no reason to change. They find me the best rates and I appreciate this quality service from my insurance company.
Very Pleased Janice Pottie was extremely helpful in finding a better rate for both our home and boat insurance, and I am very pleased with how quickly she was able to obtain the quotes and make the arrangements with the new insurance companies.
DON’T WAIT. Get a quote today!
CALL Us at 902-468-3529